Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Wolf DNA in Dogs

The other day I got a news letter from “A commitment for life YAPS – Yucaipa Animal Placement Society” and on the back page there is a section call Conner’s Corner and I want to share with y’all what she wrote in the Fall letter.

Dear Connor, My owners just don’t understand me. I am a one and a half year old dog that has lots of energy. I love to be on the move and frequently escape from my yard. They seem very frustrated by this, saying that I want to get completely away from them. However, I don’t, I just get board. How do I help them understand me without getting in trouble again?

 

Room to roam

 




Dear Room to roam,

                             Well you’ve come to the right place; I can help to get the word out. We as dogs need to go for walks and preferably with our people and/or pack. What most people do not know is that all of us dogs have wolf DNA in us, that’s where we come from. In fact, we are very close to wolves; there is only a 0.2% difference between us. That being said, it is important to note that wolves travel ten to thirty miles a day with their pack just to eat. Therefore the need to travel, which is in the wolves DNA, is in ours too.

In an effort to curb this need to roam, owners need to find the time to walk with us between 45 minutes to an hour every day. If they do this there would be a lot less escaping from the yard, not to mention, a lot less trouble in general. Walks are good for all of us, both two and four legged. Try waiting for your owners to take you on a walk next times, you’ll find it’s much more fun than going solo.

Ready to walk,

  

Connor

 

For more in on this and others to can go to Conner’s Corner provided by dog trainer, Kym Caldwell of Canine companions. If you have a question for Conner, please e-mail us at infor@yaps.org

I hope this little Conner’s Corner was helpful and enjoyable reading...


No comments: